The Money & Medals Network offers an online numismatic training opportunity. The training “Planes, Trains and… Numismatics? A Celebration of Transport-Themed Numismatic Collections” will take place on Wednesday, 29th September 2021, via Zoom.
The Money and Medals Network exists to build and develop relationships between UK museums with collections of coins, medals, banknotes, tokens and associated numismatic objects. Training days featuring seminars led by contributors from local and national museums are being provided across the UK with a view to sharing knowledge and expertise. Numismatic support networks can then be set up as a result of these training sessions. In response to the Coronavirus pandemic, the Money and Medals Network is now running online training sessions on a variety of topics.
- 10:00 – Welcome and introductions
- 10:10 – Introduction to transport-themed numismatic collections and their storage Henry Flynn, Project Curator: Money and Medals Network, the British Museum
- 10:45 – Coventry Transport Museum numismatic collection: Megan Nass, Curator (Cycles & Transport Objects), Coventry Transport Museum
- 11:15 – Break
- 11:30 – An introduction to London Transport Museum and its numismatic collections: Ellie Miles, Documentary Curator, London Transport Museum
- 11:45 – Coins, medals and the Brunels: telling the story at the SS Great Britain Tim Bryan, Director of Brunel Institute, SS Great Britain Trust
- 12:15 – Break
- 12:30 – National Railway Museum numismatic collection: Ed Bartholomew, Lead Curator, National Railway Museum
- 13:00 – Magnificent mini medals: a community engagement project during lockdown Daniel Ball, Outreach and Engagement Officer, Army Flying Museum
- 13:30 – Q&A Final chance for questions/comments based on the morning’s events (Please remember to fill out your evaluation forms!)
- 14:00 – End
The session will be moderated by Henry Flynn. The British Museum Booking is essential. To book a place, please send an email.
Find out more about The Money and Medals Network on their website.
Learn more about Henry Flynn, who organizes the events, in his Who’s Who entry.
Read in our article why this may be the last MMN training as the Money and Medals Network does not receive any more funds from the Arts Council England.