The international numismatic conference “Numismatica Centroeuropaea IV”, organized by the NBS Museum of Coins and Medals Kremnica, the Slovak National Museum, the Slovak Numismatic Society, the Kremnica Mint and the Town Kremnica, will take place from September 23rd through September 26th 2019.
The conference will take place in the old central Slovak town of Kremnica, well known for its mint (in continuous operation since 1328), its precious-metal mining industry, and its fine examples of Gothic architecture (including townhouses, the Town Castle, and the medieval fortifications). Kremnica lies in a picturesque valley, surrounded by mountains offering opportunities for sports and hiking.
Numismatica Centroeuropaea IV
The main topic of the conference will be “War and Peace in the History of Money” with a focus on:
- Wars and their impact on currencies and iconography of money, money in war conflicts
- conflicts and their reflection in coin hoards, money as loot or war taxes, mints in wars/vs in peace, war motives on medals and similar artefacts, war specific financing, etc.
- topic areas relating to the history of money since its existence until 21st century
The conference’s international preparatory committee is headed by:
- Dr Melinda Torbágyi – Hungarian National Museum, Budapest
- Dr Dagmar Grossmannová – Moravian Museum, Brno
- Professor Hubert Emmerig – University of Vienna – Department of Numismatics and
- Professor Borys Paszkiewicz – University of Wrocław – Institut of Archeology
- Dr Marián Soják – Slovak Numismatic Society, Institute of Archaeology at the Slovak
- Dr Marek Budaj – Slovak National Museum – Museum of History, Bratislava
- Ms Magdaléna Kamhalová – NBS Museum of Coins and Medals in Kremnica
- Dr Daniel Haas Kianička – NBS Museum of Coins and Medals in Kremnica
Additional information for participants
NBS – Múzeum mincí a medailí Kremnica
Štefánikovo námestie 11/21
967 01 Kremnica
Presentation abstracts in English or German (1-2 standard pages in length) should be received by 31 July 2019 via email.
The main languages of the conference are English and German. Other languages include Slovak, Czech, Polish or other according to participants which country are from.
For further details about the conference and accommodation recommendations, please visit the NBS Museum website.
Further information about the beautiful town of Kremnica can be found online.
Kremnica is still a center of coin production with the Kremnica mint as well as Monea where coins for countries all around the world are made. If you are interested how a coil becomes a sack of blanks, read our article.