Roman Gold and English Silver at CNG Feature Auction 120
Classical Numismatic Group presents their Feature Auction 120, a Live Online Sale, closing Wednesday & Thursday, 11th-12th May 2022. The auction will be conducted online from the CNG offices in Lancaster, PA. This sale offers 1,316 lots with a presale estimate of just over $2.3 million.
This feature sale presents Greek, Celtic, Oriental Greek, Central Asian, Roman Provincial, Roman Republican and Imperatorial, and Roman Imperial coinage. Additionally, there are featured selections of Byzantine, Early Medieval and Islamic, World coinage and medals, and British coinage and medals. Feature Auction 120 is highlighted by a number of collections and individual rarities, which make up the majority of coins on offer:
- Ancient, Medieval, and British Coins from the J. de Wilde Collection
- Greek and Celtic Coins from the Jim Gilman Collection
- An Exceptional Tristater of Alexander I of Macedon
- Further Selections from the MNL Collection of Seleukid Coinage
- Second Known Joint Reign Stater of Seleukos I and Antiochos I from Aï Khanoum
- Noah’s Ark Octassarion of Macrinus from Apameia
- Tetradrachm of Antony & Cleopatra with Exceptional Portraits
- A Large Selection of Roman Gold Aurei
- Selections from the Paul DiMarzio Collection of London Mint AEs
- Extremely Rare Constantine I Medallion for the Dedication of Constantinople
- Class A Zodiac Type of Mughal Emperor Jahangir
- The New Horizons Collection of British coins
- The Causeway Collection of Norman Pennies
- The Eton Collection of Hammered Silver Crowns
An array of Greek masterpieces, 100 Roman gold coins, and an impressive offering of English hammered silver are coming to the auction block. It is a well-rounded offering that collectors across the whole spectrum of Ancient, World and English coins will find enticing, said Michael Gasvoda, CNG’s Managing Director. “The strong market and our recent spectacular success with Triton XXV in January brought in a number of outstanding consignments,” he noted, “and our bidders will end up reaping the benefits.”
CNG 120’s Greek offering comprises 555 coins, including a run of Macedonian silver and gold issues from the Ulysses Collection, coins of Northern and Central Greece from the James Gilman Collection, a diverse group of early electrum coinage, and many important early Judean issues. Greek highlights include:
- Lot 45: Exceptional Gela didrachm.
- Lot 56: Magnificent Leontini tetradrachm.
- Lot 134: Impressive silver tristater of Alexander I.
- Lot 274: Pedigreed gold stater of Mithradates VI.
- Lot 494: Extremely rare Persian gold double-daric.
Among the Roman coins offered are than 100 Roman gold aurei and solidi, including several extreme rarities. Roman emperors and empresses represented by gold aurei (often by multiple coins) include Claudius, Otho, Vespasian, Titus, Domitian, Domitia, Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Aelius Caesar, Antoninus Pius, Faustina Senior, Marcus Aurelius, Faustina Junior, Lucius Verus, Commodus, Caracalla, Julia Domna, Gordian III, Philip I, Herennia Etruscilla, and Hostilian. The sale also includes gold solidi of Constantius II, Julian II, Valens, Theodosius I, Magnus Maximus, Honorius, Theodosius II, Valentinian III, Leo I, Leo II, and Zeno.
Roman Provincial, Republican and Imperial highlights include:
- Lot 628: “Noah’s Ark” bronze of Apamaea, Phrygia.
- Lot 655: Silver tetradrachm of Cleopatra VII and Mark Antony.
- Lot 762: Rare silver denarius of Gaius “Caligula”.
- Lot 813: Extremely rare gold aureus of Domitia.
- Lot 829: Gold aureus of Hadrian and Divus Trajan.
- Lot 897: Rare gold aureus of Commodus.
- Lot 956: Rare and historic silver medallion of Constantine I the Great.
The English section of CNG 120 features the Causeway Collection, a remarkably comprehensive holding of hammered silver of the Anglo-Saxon, Norman, and early Plantagenet kings. The collection, covering nearly two centuries of English history from Aethelred II to Stephen, includes 100 different silver pennies struck at 36 different mints, a veritable tour of early England. Highlights include:
- Lot 1167: Handsome Penny of William the Conqueror.
- Lot 1207: Rare “flag” penny of Stephen.
- Lot 1210: Attractive gold noble of Edward III.
- Lot 1220: Beautiful gold angel of Edward IV.
Catalogs for Feature Auction 120 will be mailed to the active mailing list shortly. Bidding is now open on the site. Pre-bids on all coins in CNG 120 may be placed via the company’s website.
The live auction will commence at 9 am EDT on Wednesday, 11th May 2022 and can be followed via CNG’s Auction Mobility platform on the website. To receive a printed copy of the full-color catalog and a detailed schedule, contact Classical Numismatic Group LLC, via email or call (717) 390-9194.