January 14, 2016 – The Royal Mint has released its Annual Sets for 2016, revealing some exciting new designs for United Kingdom coins. 2016 will be a significant year for the nation’s coins and The Royal Mint itself; this is the last year that the Annual Sets will contain the round £1 coin, and the year in which the 1,000 year old organisation opens a Visitor Centre for the first time.
The history of The Royal Mint has been linked closely with the story of Britain for more than 1,000 years. During that time, the craftsmanship of Royal Mint engravers and coin designs has reflected change, progress, upheaval and war – a snapshot of Britain through time.
Anne Jessopp, Director of Commemorative Coin at The Royal Mint, says: “It is always exciting to see the new years’ designs revealed, commemorating the moments that matter, and revisiting some of the great events and stories from our history.”
Amongst the themes for 2016, we bid Her Majesty The Queen a happy 90th birthday, while three separate coins celebrate the on-going legacy of the work of William Shakespeare on the 400th anniversary of his death. The 350th anniversary of the Great Fire of London is commemorated, as is the Battle of Hastings, 950 years ago. A continuation of The Royal Mint’s five year programme of commemoration of the First World War recognises the civic pride that fuelled the rise of the Pals’ Battalions within the Army 100 years ago. Finally, with the new 12-sided £1 coins set to be released in 2017, 2016 sees the issue of the last “round £1” coin, marked with a special edition £1 coin.
Each coin bears the fifth definitive portrait of The Queen by Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark. Introduced in 2015, this portrait heralds the next chapter in the royal story.
These are the coin designs for 2016:
- The Queen’s 90th Birthday 2016 UK £5 Coin: Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Cupro-nickel. 38.61mm. 28.28g. Design: Jody Clark / Christopher Hobbs.
- The Army 2016 UK £2 Coin: Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Inner: Cupro-nickel / Outer: Nickel-brass. 28.40mm. 12.00g. Design: Jody Clark / Tim Sharp.
- The 350th Anniversary of The Great Fire of London 2016 UK £2 Coin: Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Inner: Cupro-nickel / Outer: Nickel-brass. 28.40mm. 12.00g. Design: Jody Clark / Aaron West.
- The 400th Anniversary of the Life of Shakespeare 2016 UK £2 Coin: Only available as 3-coin set. Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Cupro-nickel. 38.61mm. 28.28g. Design: Jody Clark / John Bergdahl.
- The Last ‘Round Pound’ 2016 UK £1 Coin: Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Cupro-nickel. 22.50mm. 9.50g. Design: Jody Clark / Gregory Cameron.
- The 950th Anniversary of The Battle of Hastings 2016 UK 50p Coin: Unlimited. Brilliant Uncirculated. Cupro-nickel. 27.30mm. 8.00g. Design: Jody Clark / John Bergdahl.
For more information, please visit The Royal Mint’s website.