Roma Numismatics’ Auction XX Highlighted by EID MAR in Gold
Roma Numismatics Auction XX was a stunning success: 1,020 lots went under the hammer, resulting in 995 lots sold and a total hammer of £9,690,940 (excluding buyers’ premiums) being achieved on behalf of the consignors, the highest grossing sale ever to be held by Roma Numismatics Ltd.
The most notable collections were:
- The Long Valley River Collection: Total Estimate: £3,432,750. Total Hammer: £4,150,180.
- The Property of an Imperial Chamberlain: Total Estimate: £700,000. Total Hammer: £2,940,000.
- The G.T. Collection of the Twelve Caesars: Total Estimate: £276,000. Total Hammer: £343,500.
- The Oxus Collection: Total Estimate: £148,500. Total Hammer: £180,150.
The most notable single lots were:
The star lot of the auction was undoubtedly Lot 463, which after tense bidding from prospective buyers around the world lasting nearly six minutes, finally hammered for £3,240,000 including Buyer’s Premium (£2,700,000 hammer), thus setting a new world record for the highest price ever paid for an ancient coin, beating the previous record of $3,250,000 paid for a gold stater of Pantikapaion in 2012.
- Lot 59: A very rare and high grade tetradrachm from Katane in Sicily with a three-quarter facing head of Apollo on the obverse and signed by the die engraver Herakleidas sold for £190,000 from an opening bid of £18,000.
- Lot 586: A stunning aureus of Domitian sold for £60,000 from an opening bid of £16,500.
- Lot 646: A Macrinus aureus of an extremely rare type in incredible state of preservation sold for £90,000 from an opening bid of £30,000.
- Lot 839: An extremely rare Philippe VI de Valois couronne d’or in mint state condition sold for £50,000 from an opening price of £24,000.
Now Accepting Consignments For:
E-Sale 79: 14 January 2021 (consignment deadline 26 November 2020)
E-Sale 80: 4 February 2021 (consignment deadline 17 December 2020)
Auction XXI: 25 March 2021 (consignment deadline 15 January 2021)
Fore more information go to the Roma Numismatics’ website.
Or buy the unsold lots at fixed prices.