February 23, 2012 – Norway’s Central Bank, Norges Bank, informs that the banknotes in the previous series – Series VI – will soon be worthless. Many banknotes in this series are still in circulation. Norges Bank will no longer be obliged to redeem these notes as from 1 November 2012.
“Check whether you have old banknotes hidden away at home”, says Director Trond Eklund of the Cashier’s Department. The deadline for exchange is 1 November 2012 and applies to the following banknotes:
- 50-krone notes bearing the portrait of Aasmund O. Vinje
- 100-krone notes bearing the portrait of Camilla Collett
- 500-krone notes bearing the portrait of Edvard Grieg
- 1000-krone notes bearing the portrait of Christian Magnus Falsen
If you want to exchange any of these notes, you must do so before 1 November at one of the following locations:
- at Norges Bank in Oslo;
- at Norges Bank’s depots (operated by NOKAS) in Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim and Tromsø;
- at banks offering this service to customers.
You will find further information on the website of Norges Bank.
From May 1, 2012 Norges Bank will also withdraw from circulation the 50-øre coin as we reported here.