Numismatic Guaranty Corporation™ (NGC®) has been named the Official Grading Service of Sixbid, a popular online auction platform for coins and paper money. The move elevates the collaboration between the two companies; NGC had previously been selected as an Approved Grading Service of Sixbid.
On Sixbid.com, auction houses from all over the world present their numismatic auctions to a broad audience. The services of Sixbid include not only the onsite marketing tools for auction houses, but also easier search options for collectors and others interested in numismatic items. It doesn’t matter whether a collector wants to find out about an item and its provenance before an auction or if they are interested in the price of a lot in an auction. Particularly in Europe, Sixbid is popular for researching possible future acquisitions for a personal collection and for offering them directly on the site.
Sixbid, which was founded in 2001, was able to present over 1,100 auctions in 2018 to its numismatically interested audience. Also in 2018, Sixbid generated more than 40 million page views from an average of 250,000 visitors per month and is likely the world’s most popular numismatic auction platform, with visitors from over 200 countries.
NGC is a leading third-party authentication, grading and encapsulation service for collectible coins. Coins certified by NGC are backed by its comprehensive guarantee and are trusted by collectors and dealers around the world. This trust results in higher prices realized and greater liquidity.
NGC has certified more than 43 million coins since it was founded in 1987. It now has offices in London, Munich, Shanghai and Hong Kong, in addition to its global headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, USA.
“Grading by NGC gives bidders the confidence to buy coins from auction houses all around the world, even if they haven’t examined the coin themselves,” said Ulf Künker, Chairman of Sixbid. “At any given time, thousands of NGC-certified coins from nearly every country and time period are available through the auctions featured on our site.”
“It is an honor to work with Sixbid, an essential tool for collectors and dealers around the world,” said Steven R. Eichenbaum, CEO of NGC. “Both of our companies make it easier for people to buy and sell coins, so this collaboration makes perfect sense.”
NGC has also been appointed the Official Grading Service of many of the world’s most prestigious organizations and companies:
- the American Numismatic Association (ANA), a coin collecting organization chartered by the US Congress;
- the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG), a respected dealer organization in the United States;
- the National Silver Dollar Roundtable (NSDR), which was founded in 1982 and counts some of the hobby’s top experts as members;
- the Macau Numismatic Society (MNS), which was established in 1988 to serve the coin and paper money collecting communities in that Chinese special administrative region;
- Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers, a popular Facebook group for professional numismatists, and Roundtable Trading LLC, an affiliated dealer-to-dealer trading and informational platform.
This CoinsWeekly article offers a behind-the-scenes-look at NGC headquarters in Florida.
In this video, you can follow a coin as it goes from its delivery to NGC to being place in its holder.