Joe Sedillot Collection Surpassed All Expectations
Stephen Album Rare Coins held its Internet Auction 15 on 11th April 2022 at its offices in Santa Rosa, California. This auction surpassed all expectations, with total prices realized of $112,500 (including buyer’s fees) on a middle estimate of $51,000. The auction comprised 600 lots of A-Z world, Chinese, and Indian coins and had a sell-through of 95.5%.
The success of the auction was helped greatly by many high-quality coins from the Joe Sedillot Collection. Many items went for multiples of their estimates. Some highlights follow (prices exclude buyer’s fees):
- Lot 67: Cuba. Republic, AR 20 centavos, 1948, KM-13.2, a fantastic quality example! PCGS graded MS66, ex Joe Sedillot Collection. Estimated at $50-75. Realized $2,400.
- Lot 180: Greenland. Christian X, 1912-1947, 25 øre, 1926, KM-6, with central hole, a superb quality example! PCGS graded MS65, ex Joe Sedillot Collection. Estimated at $50-75. Realized $2,200.
- Lot 489: Sinkiang. Republic, AE 10 cash, Kashgar, CD1928, Y-B38.1, CL-XJ.43, with tóng bì inside starburst, PCGS graded MS61 BN, ex Shawn Hamilton Collection. Estimated at $100-150. Realized $2,200.
- Lot 524: Tibet. AR 3 srang, BE16-7 (1933), Y-25, L&M-659, Autonomous Tibetan issue, snow lion facing left in center with Himalayan range behind with two suns above and ornament below, an attractive mint state example, PCGS graded MS62. Estimated at $100-150. Realized $1,700.
- Lot 254: Latvia. First Republic. AR 5 lati, 1932, KM-9, key date, PCGS graded MS64. Estimated at $80-120. Realized $1,300.
- Lot 373: Straits Settlements. Edward VII, 1901-1910, AR 10 cents, 1902, KM-21, an attractive mint state example, PCGS graded MS62, ex Joe Sedillot Collection. Estimated at $75-100. Realized $800.
- Lot 110: El Salvador. Republic, AE 1/4 real, 1909, KM-120, a lovely mint state example! PCGS graded MS63 BN, ex Joe Sedillot Collection. Estimated at $75-100. Realized $700.
- Lot 554: Sikh Empire. AR rupee, Amritsar, VS85, KM-21.1, with frozen date VS1884, a wonderful mint state example! PCGS graded MS64. Estimated at $100-150. Realized $700.
- Lot 42: Cambodia. Norodom I, 1860-1904, AR 50 centimes, 1860, KM-45, Lec-50, local official restrike struck at the Phnom Penh mint from 1887-1901 from rusted dies, portrait européanisé type, a superb quality example! PCGS graded MS65. Estimated at $100-150. Realized $650.
- Lot 559: British India. East India Company, AE 1/2 anna, 1835(m), KM-447.1, S&W-1.83, Prid-133, a lovely chocolate brown mint state example! PCGS graded MS63 BN. Estimated at $100-150. Realized $600.
Company CFO Paul Montz commented: “Lesser valued material is doing quite well in today’s market, and this auction certainly proves that out. Frankly, some of the results have been really staggering.”
All results of Internet Auction 15 can be viewed in the online catalog.
The firm is currently taking consignments for future internet and premier auctions. For more information, please visit Stephen Albums website.