July 2, 2015 – Continuing its series “Hungarian Castles” the Magyar Nemzeti Bank now adds a new 10,000-Ft silver coin and a 2,000-Ft non-ferrous coin commemorating the Jurisics Castle in Köszeg. Previous issues were dedicated to Visegrád (2004), Diósgyör (2005), Munkács (2006), Gyula (2007) and Siklós (2008).
Hungary / 10000 HUF / silver .925 / 31.46 g / 38.61 mm / Design: Gábor Kereszthury / Mintage: 5,000.
The new coin is designed by Gábor Kereszthury, the front features a portrait of Miklós Jurisics, with the reverse of the coin showing a perspective of the side of the castle in its current state.
Jurisics Castle today. Photograph: Wikimedia Commons.
The Jurisics Castle, located in the town of Köszeg on the banks of the Gyöngyös stream at the edge of Western Hungary, marks the spot where Suleiman the Magnificent and his Turkish army were brought to a halt in 1532, thanks to the brave defence of the castle by the Croatian captain Miklós Jurisich and his men.
The first recorded reference to the castle is uncertain: in 802, a castle (probably the Upper Castle) is mentioned in the chronicles of Einhard as the “castellum Guntionis” and a document issued by King Béla IV praising Herbert, son of Osl, in 1248 again mentions a “castrum kuszigh”.
Eduard Schön, Engraving of the sieg of Köszeg in 1532, undated.
The small castle’s real claim to fame stems from 1532: on August 5th of that year, the army of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent (reign: 1520-1566) laid siege to Köszeg while advancing on Vienna. For 25 days, Capitan Miklós Jurisich and a handful of men valiantly resisted the repeated assaults of the massive Turkish army. Historians believe that news of the formation of a sizeable Austrian army prompted the Sultan to besiege the strategically insignificant castle of Köszeg. Ultimately, Jurisich agreed to an offer by General Ibrahim: the Ottoman flag was raised on the castle’s eight towers, allowing the commander to announce a victory to the Sultan and the Turkish army to move on. Ferdinand Habsburg (reign: 1521-1564) promoted Captain Miklós Jurisich to barony for his heroism and gave him the castle of Köszeg. After his death without offspring in 1544, the castle changed hands many times. From 1795 to 1931 it was owned by the Eszterhazy family, after which it was in military ownership until 1955, originally as a border guard station and finally for grain storage.
Initial reconstruction took place from 1955 to 1963, after which cultural institutions were housed in the castle. Another reconstruction started in 2011 and since the summer of 2013 the castle is open to visitors again. It is a historical memorial site.
For more information on the new coins go to the website of the Hungarian Mint.
If you plan to visit the castle you can find helpful information here.