September 6, 2012 – Whitman Publishing announces the release of the new fifth edition of the Guide Book of United States Currency, by Kenneth Bressett. The full-color, 352-page softcover book can be preordered online and will be available from booksellers and hobby retailers in the United States on August 30. It retails for $19.95.
Kenneth Bressett, Guide Book of United States Currency, 5th edition, Whitman Publishing, LLC Atlanta (GA) 2012. 352 pages, 6 x 9 inches, softcover, full color. ISBN 079483662-3. $19.95.
Bressett, longtime editor of the Guide Book of United States Coins (the “Red Book”), covers large-size, small-size, and fractional paper money in the revised and updated fifth edition. He also explores World War II issues, uncut sheets of notes, and errors, and discusses grading, supply and demand, specialization, storage, counterfeits, and other hobby topics.
“The Guide Book of United States Currency is popular among hobbyists,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “It appeals especially to beginning and intermediate collectors. Its engaging numismatic text and solid market information are valuable for longtime collectors and dealers as well.”
Q. David Bowers, in the book’s foreword, calls it “an excellent overview and pricing guide for one of the country’s most popular hobbies.”
- Illustrations of large-size, small-size, and Fractional Currency notes
- Listings of every series, arranged by Friedberg number
- Market prices in up to seven collectible grades
- Historical background on each series and denomination, from $1 to $10,000
- Advice on how to collect and store paper money
- Grading instructions
- Guidance on detecting counterfeits
- A glossary of collector terms
- Special sections on valuable varieties, uncut sheets, error notes, and more
For more information about the book or Whitman Publishing, please visit the publisher’s website.