September 18, 2014 – The American Numismatic Society, located in New York City, invites nominations and applications for the position of the Francis D. Campbell Librarian in its Harry W. Bass Jr. Library. The Society is looking for an outgoing, well-educated individual who can assist members and the public with a variety of questions ranging from all periods of history and geographical areas.
The Francis D. Campbell Librarian will be in charge of the library and archives of the Society, which is one of the largest numismatic libraries in the world. The Society also houses significant holdings of rare numismatic books, manuscripts and related items. The Librarian will undertake day-to-day activities such as visitor services, acquisitions, research support for members, and management of the Library website and its online catalogue.
S/he will perform research on aspects of the collections and contribute frequently to the publications of the Society such as the ANS Magazine, the American Journal of Numismatics, and other publications in the field. S/he will supervise an assistant librarian, who is the principal cataloguer of the collection.
The Francis D. Campbell Librarian will engage in a program of digitizing parts of the Library and collaborating with other staff in promoting the digital resources of the American Numismatic Society. The Librarian is expected to raise funds from public and private sources for activities of the Library.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an accredited school and ideally advanced degree in a subject relevant to the Society’s mission
- At least 5 years’ experience in an academic or specialized library
- Experience providing research support in an academic or specialized library setting
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially in a small team
- Ability to work independently with a variety of users
- Strong public service orientation
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated record of designing special projects, securing funding for them, and completing them in a timely manner
- Familiarity with the principles of curating rare books and manuscripts
- Commitment to conduct independent scholarly research
The Francis D. Campbell Librarian reports to the Executive Director.
For more information about the Harry W. Bass Jr. Library and the American Numismatic Society visit the Society’s website.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Applications should reach the Society by October 10, 2014. Please submit a letter, a resume, names and contact of information of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be held at the Society after October 15th, 2014.