January 28, 2010 – At the Sapienza-University of Rome the third Simone Assemani Symposium on Islamic Coinage will be held from September 23 to 25, 2011. The topic proposed for the 3rd Assemani Symposium is Umayyad Coinage in Context: from the late Byzantine and Sassanian time to the early ‘Abbasid period (7th -8th century). Here are some suggestions concerning the themes that could be tackled:
* Coinage during transitional periods (late Umayyad-early ‘Abbasid issues)
* Arab-Byzantine and Arab-Sassanian Coinages: chronology and iconography
* Contacts between Umayyad coinage and mediaeval Europe, Central Asia and the Orient
* Coin production and circulation (study of coin hoards, analysis of the output of one or more mints, …)
* Literary sources related to the Umayyad coinage system
* Palaeography of coin inscriptions
Presentations can be in English, French, German and Italian and should not exceed 20/25 minutes in most circumstances.
Those wishing to participate in the Symposium, click here in order to receive more information.