17-05-2017 – 19-05-2017
Exquisite Indian and Asian Coins at Stephen Album’s Auction 28
Stephen Album Rare Coins will hold their largest auction to date from May 18-20, 2017 in their offices in Santa Rosa, California. Auction 28 will comprise 3021 lots of Ancient, Islamic, Chinese, General World, and Indian coins, as well as Numismatic Literature.
Featured this time are the Ajit Singh Collection of Indian Coins, The Hans Mondorf Collection of Asian Coins, and selections from the Richard Stuart Collection of Central American coins.
A few highlights from the auction follow:
- Lot 17: Achaimenid: Darios I to Xerxes II, circa 485-420 BC, gold daric, Sardes mint, Carradice-Type IIIb, Persian king or hero, wearing kidaris and kandys, quiver over shoulder, in kneeling-running stance right, holding spear in right hand, bow in left // incuse punch, NGC graded choice VF Strike: 4/5 Surface: 4/5. Estimated Value 3,500-4,000 USD.
- Lot 487: Fulaytid Sharis of Mecca: Mukaththir b. ‘Isa b. Fulayta, 1188-1197, silver dirham (1.17g), NM, ND, A-1159M, Zeno-30128 (different dies), Legends al-amir / mukaththir obverse, al-imam / ahmad on reverse, referring to the Abbasid caliph al-Nasir, VF, RRRR. Estimated Value 4,000-6,000 USD.
- Lot 854: China: Hsien Feng, 1851-1861, silver liang (tael), Shanghai, year 6 (1856), Kann-903, L&M-590, Issued by the firm of Ching Cheng Chee and engraved by Feng Nien, legend translates as: cake (of) standard silver (from the) business firm (of) Ching Cheng Chee (in the) Shanghai district (in the) 6th year (of Emperor) Hsien Feng (1856) // made (by) Feng Nien, silversmith (and) supervised (by) Chow Yuen Yu. Exact weight one Tsaoping Tael, some surface scratches, NGC graded AU details, RRR, ex Hans Mondorf Collection. Estimated Value 12,000-14,000 USD.
- Lot 916: Yunnan: Kuang Hsu, 1875-1908, silver trade rupee, ND . L&M-427, Wenchao-pg.512 #830 (rarity five stars). This type is clearly modeled after the Szechuen Tibet Rupee series and although similar in appearance, various modifications have been made to the design which include some stylistic changes and the addition of the English legends YUN-NAN PROVINCE around central portrait // SILVER COIN within Indian rupee style wreath, environmental damage as hornsilver, VF details, RRR, x Hans Mondorf Collection. Estimated Value 15,000-20,000 USD.
- Lot 1652: Ecuador: gold 4 escudos, 1838, KM-19. Assayer ST, pleasing appearance and nice for the grade in this exceedingly rare issue, NGC graded EF45, RRR. Estimated Value 18,000-25,000 USD.
- Lot 2264: Mughal: Jahangir, 1605-1628, gold zodiac mohur (10.79g), Agra, AH1031 year 16, KM-180.20, Pisces, NGC graded EF40, RRR. Estimated Value 100,000-120,000 USD.
- Lot 2555: Mysore: Tipu Sultan, 1782-1799, gold 4 pagodas (13.71g), Patan, AM1217 year 7, KM-B129, superb quality for this rare and popular type, NGC graded MS64, RR, ex Ajit Singh Collection. Estimated Value 14,000-18,000 USD.
The firm is now accepting consignments for its Auction 29 on September 14-16, 2017.
Please visit the company’s website for more information.