10-08-2013 – 15-08-2013
Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio realizes over $9.8 million
Stack’s Bowers Galleries conducted the Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money from August 11-16 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. Fourteen live auction sessions and two internet-only sessions brought the total sales to a staggering $46,483,309, including $9,807,440 in world and ancient lots. Some of the most famous names in numismatics were represented at this sale, with pieces from collections like the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection, the Thos. H. Law Collection, the Richard Jewell Collection, the Bentley Shores Collection, the Dr. Edward and Joanne Dauer Collection of Silver Certificates, and the Demarete Collection offered throughout this amazing event.
Lot 12071, BRAZIL. 6,400 Reis (Peca), 1824-R. NGC MS-61. Realized $47,000.
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, the foreign and ancient coin and paper money division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, presented more than 3,700 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money as the Official Auctioneer of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money in Chicago, Illinois. This impressive selection contained many rare and interesting pieces, offering something for every collector.
Lot 11121, CYRENAICA. Cyrene. AR Tetradrachm (16.39 Gms), Ca. 480-435 B.C. Realized $32,900.
Ancient coins, comprising more than 200 lots as Session B, presented a number of significant pieces, including Lot 11121, a wonderful Zeus Ammon Cyrene Tetradrachm in Very Fine-Extremely Fine condition that sold for $32,900. Session C was composed of world gold coins and contained a number of notable highlights, like the extremely rare 1824-R Brazilian Peca of Pedro I, an NGC MS-61 coin that brought $47,000 and the famed Wilson Dollar struck in gold, also graded NGC MS-61, which yielded a strong $50,525. Russian coins, always a strong area, featured a high grade 1726 Catherine I 2 Rubles graded NGC AU-58 that topped out at an impressive $70,500 and a very rare 1739 Ducat in PCGS EF-45 that brought $44,062.
Nearly 450 lots of world crowns and minors comprised Session D, which also produced many outstanding realizations. Lot 13170 featured an Official Gold Medal from the 1936 Olympic Winter Games, one of just 17 pieces made, that fetched $25,850, many multiples of its pre-sale estimate!
Lot 13182, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1746. PCGS PROOF-65 Secure Holder. Realized $23,500.
British coins included a choice Proof 1746 George II Crown, a lovely Proof-65 (PCGS) Old Head crown that sold for $23,500 and an immaculate 1847 Gothic Crown in PCGS Proof-67 that realized $26,438. Non-traditional coinage featured an approximately 220-pound “Fei,” a piece of stone money from the island of Yap. The stone is in exceptional condition, and its new owner paid a hefty price for it – $30,550 to be precise!
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio August 2013 Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money include:
- Lot 11017, ITALY. Bruttium. Rhegium (Reggio). AR Tetradrachm (17.21 Gms), ca. 415-387 B.C. Realized $17,625
- Lot 11065, AEGINA. AR Stater (12.26 Gms), Ca. 480-457 B.C. Realized $22,325
- Lot 11121, CYRENAICA. Cyrene. AR Tetradrachm (16.39 Gms), Ca. 480-435 B.C. Realized $32,900
- Lot 11156, LUCIUS VERUS, A.D. 161-169. AV Aureus (7.16 Gms), Rome Mint, A.D. 163/4. Realized $11,162
- Lot 12001, ARGENTINA. 8 Escudos, 1832/1-RA P. NGC AU-58. Realized $17,625
- Lot 12033, BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1733-M. NGC MS-65. Realized $34,075
- Lot 12071, BRAZIL. 6,400 Reis (Peca), 1824-R. NGC MS-61. Realized $47,000
- Lot 12247, GERMANY. Westphalia. 40 Franken, 1813-C. NGC MS-65. Realized $14,100
- Lot 12362, MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1743-Mo MF. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 12444, PHILIPPINES. Wilson Dollar In Gold, 1920. NGC MS-61. Realized $50,525
- Lot 12473, RUSSIA. 2 Rubles, 1726. NGC AU-58. Realized $70,500
- Lot 12474, RUSSIA. Ducat, 1739. PCGS EF-45 Secure Holder. Realized $44,062
- Lot 12484, RUSSIA. 3 Ruble, 1833-CNB. PCGS PROOF-66 CAMEO Secure Holder. Realized $35,250
- Lot 12490, RUSSIA. 10 Ruble, 1886-AT. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. Realized $25,850
- Lot 12523, SOUTH AFRICA. Pond, 1894. NGC MS-65. Realized $28,788
- Lot 13132, GERMAN NEW GUINEA. 5 Mark, 1894-A. NGC PROOF-66. Realized $26,438
- Lot 13170, GERMANY. Official Gold (Gilt Silver), 1936. Olympic Winter Games At Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Realized $25,850
- Lot 13177, GREAT BRITAIN. England. Crown, 1658/7. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13181, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1739. NGC MS-65. Realized $15,275
- Lot 13182, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1746. PCGS PROOF-65 Secure Holder. Realized $23,500
- Lot 13195, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1847. PCGS PROOF-67. Realized $26,438
- Lot 13245, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, 1706. NGC MS-63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $9,988
- Lot 13246, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, Year 11 (1711). NGC MS-63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $8,695
- Lot 13268, JAPAN. Ansei Trade Dollar (3 Bu Or San Bu), ND (1859). NGC MS-62. Realized $25,850
- Lot 13284, MOROCCO. 10 Dirhams, AH 1299 (1882). Paris Mint Silver Proof. PCGS PROOF-66. Realized $15,275
- Lot 13323, POLAND. 100 Zlotych Proba, 1925. NGC MS-63. Realized $11,750
- Lot 13353, RUSSIA. Ruble, 1742-CNB. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13366, RUSSIA. Ruble, 1807-CNBOT. PCGS MS-63 Secure Holder. Realized $17,038
- Lot 13393, RUSSIA. 25 Kopek, 1900. NGC PROOF-66. Realized $18,212
- Lot 13432, VENEZUELA. Maracaibo. 2 Reales, 1814. Realized $12,925
- Lot 13433, YAP Island. Stone Money “Fei”, ND (19th Century or Earlier). Realized $30,550
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official Auction of the August 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money, visit the website of Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio.
The catalogues are also available at Sixbid.