31-03-2013 – 02-04-2013
Hong Kong Sale
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio sells millions in Hong Kong
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio conducted their bi-annual Hong Kong sale from April 1-3 at the Sheraton Hotel in Kowloon. The sale featured more than 2,500 lots of Chinese and other Asian rarities, including both coins and paper money, and realized a strong $6,307,830. At almost all times, there was standing room only in the auction room, and throughout the auction the bidding was extremely competitive. Executive vice president Rick Ponterio noted, “Last week’s auction in Hong Kong proved that the Asian numismatic market is thriving. In fact, across the board, the market is demonstrably stronger than this time last year. Demand for high quality rarities is high, and the prices realized clearly reinforce this fact. We are looking forward to another successful auction later this year.”
Lot 21058, CHINA. Pattern K’uping Tael Struck in Gold, CD (1906). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-62. Realized $131,450.
Among the many impressive realizations from this sale were several notable highlights. Gold coins featured a Pattern K’uping Tael, an experimental issue that was never released into circulation. Graded MS-62 by NGC, this lovely coin sold for an incredibly strong $131,450.
Session C was comprised of Asian and world paper money and offered a nicely balanced selection of Chinese and other Asian and world notes.
Lot 22156, CHINA–FOREIGN BANKS. Russo-Asiatic Bank. $500, ND (1910). Choice Very Fine. Realized $20,315.
Chinese foreign bank issues included a rare and choice Russo-Asiatic Bank $500 note, a gorgeously designed and colorful note that sold for a strong $20,315. Hong Kong notes showcased a nice run of Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China notes, including an incredible PMG Gem Uncirculated-66 EPQ $100 Color Trial specimen that climbed to $19,120. This section also featured a pleasing group of notes from the Straits Settlements, including a Government of the Straits Settlements $5 graded PMG Extremely Fine 40.Wonderfully detailed and bold, this note is near the top of the PMG population report, as evidenced by its strong realized price of $7,170.
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2013 Hong Kong Sale include:
- Lot 22011, CHINA–EMPIRE. Imperial Bank of China. 5 Mace, 14.11.1898. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $19,120
- Lot 22156, CHINA–FOREIGN BANKS. Russo-Asiatic Bank. $500, ND (1910). Choice Very Fine. Realized $20,315
- Lot 22167, CHINA–PROVINCIAL BANKS. KiangSu Bank. $1, $5 & $10, Ca. 1920s. About Uncirculated. Realized $41,825
- Lot 22171, CHINA–PROVINCIAL BANKS. Fukien Bank. $1, $5 & $10, ND (1915). About Uncirculated & Uncirculated. Realized $11,353
- Lot 22185, CHINA–PROVINCIAL BANKS. Hupeh Government Cash Bank. 5 Yuan, Yr. 30 (1904). Choice Very Fine. Realized $28,680
- Lot 22187, CHINA–PROVINCIAL BANKS. Canton Municipal Bank. $10, ND (Ca. 1920s). Choice Very Fine. Realized $28,680
- Lot 22199, CHINA–PROVINCIAL BANKS. Peiyang Tientsin Bank. 10 Taels, ND (1910). Choice About Uncirculated. Realized $10,158
- Lot 22252, HONG KONG. Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China. $10, 1.12.1911. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $11,950
- Lot 22253, HONG KONG. Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China. $100, 2.12.1929. PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ. Realized $19,120
- Lot 22277, HONG KONG. Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. $50, 1.1.1901. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $15,535
- Lot 22399, MALAYA AND BRITISH BORNEO. Board of Commissioners of Currency. $50, ND (1953). PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net. Realized $20,315
- Lot 22400, MALAYA AND BRITISH BORNEO. Board of Commissioners of Currency. $100, 21.3.1953. About Uncirculated. Realized $8,963
- Lot 22439, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $5, 20.6.1921. PMG Extremely Fine 40. Realized $7,170
- Lot 22452, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $100, 24.9.1925. PMG Very Fine 30 Net. Realized $10,755
- Lot 22460, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $10, 1.1.1933. PMG Choice Very Fine 35 Net. Realized $11,353
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is currently accepting consignments for their next sale in Hong Kong, which will take place in August 2013, as well as for the Official Auction of the August 2013 World’s Fair of Money, which will take place in Chicago, and the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo.
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2013 Hong Kong Auction, visit the Stack’s Bowers website.
More detailed lists of all prices realized during the Hong Kong auctions are available from here.