28-03-2011 – 01-04-2011
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official Baltimore World 2011
The Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official Baltimore World Auction realizes more than $2.3 million
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, realized $2,304,456 as part of the Official Auction of the March 2011 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo, conducted March 29-April 2. Stack’s Bowers Galleries realized an impressive $13,892,475 over eight U.S. and world sessions, continuing its lengthy tenure as the only official auctioneer of the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo. The entire auction saw 7,690 lots cross the block, including nearly 2,600 world and ancient coin and paper money lots.
Lot 10324, China, Pattern Dollar Struck in Silver, ND (1914), K-642, Y-322, MS-66 (PCGS), realized $31,860.
“Our March 2011 Baltimore Auction was a tremendously successful event for foreign coin and banknote consignors,” observed Rick Ponterio, executive vice president. “The first session of our foreign offerings highlighted Mexican coins, with prices realized for many pieces exceeding our expectations after a strong showing from bidders in both Mexico and the United States. We also noted a lot of bidding activity on Panamanian paper money, which resulted in especially strong prices for those lots.”
Foreign coin and banknote highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio March 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
* Lot 8002, Mexico, 8 Escudos, 1714-J, Fr-6, KM-57.2, Extremely Fine, realized $6,490
* Lot 8065, Mexico, War of Independence, Veracruz, Zongolica, 8 Reales, (1812), KM-255, VF-35 (NGC), realized $32,450
* Lot 8076, Mexico, Mexico City, 1/8 Real, 1829, KM-332, Almost Uncirculated, realized $11,800
* Lot 8325, Mexico, Culiacan, 4 Reales, 1857-CCE, KM-375.1, Almost Uncirculated, realized $14,160
* Lot 8342, Mexico, Guadalajara, 4 Reales, 1863-GaJG, KM-375.2, MS-64 (NGC), realized $14,160
* Lot 9142, Mexico, Alamos, 50 Centavos, 1888-AsL, KM-407, AU-50 (NGC), realized $12,980
* Lot 10079, China, Four-Piece Gold Bronze Age “Archaeological” Proof Set, 1981, KM-Ps8, Gem Brilliant Proof, realized $47,790
* Lot 10107, Denmark, Ducat, 1671/69, Fr-140, KM-340.1, MS-63 (NGC), realized $10,030
* Lot 10158, Great Britain, 5 Pounds, 1893, Fr-394a, KM-787, Proof-64 (NGC), realized $11,210
* Lot 10621, Russia, Ruble, 1912-EB, Y-69, AU-58 (NGC), realized $13,275
* 10652, Venezuela, Caracus, 1/8 Real, 1814, C-1, ST-70 (C1), Choice Extremely Fine, realized $7,670
* Lot 11121, Colombia, Departmento De Bolivar, 50 Centavos, 1900, P-S1123, Very Fine, realized $14,750
* Lot 11129, Costa Rica, Ferro Carril De Costa Rica, 1 Peso, 15.4.1872, P-S234, Very Good, realized $9,440
For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio March 2011 Baltimore Auction, visit the firm’s website.