14-05-2014 – 15-05-2014
Sales 134 and 135
Kolbe & Fanning Sales 134 and 135 Results
Kolbe & Fanning’s 134th and 135th sales of important numismatic literature from the libraries of Philip W. Ralls and others were held on May 15-16. The sales featured significant works in virtually all areas of numismatic study, most especially United States auction catalogues and large cent literature. The combined prices realized list may be seen on the firm’s website.
Some highlights from the Phil Ralls library sale included:
- Lot 77, Wayte Raymond’s deluxe leather copy of George H. Clapp’s United States Cents of the Years 1798-1799, sold for $8500 (all prices herein are hammer prices).
- Lot 193, the deluxe leather copy of Howard R. Newcomb’s United States Cents of the Years 1801-1802-1803, sold for $6000.
- Lot 181, a rare deluxe leather copy of the William C. Atwater catalogue (Mehl, 1946), sold for $4000.
- Lot 65, a copy of Henry Chapman’s important catalogue of the Andrew C. Zabriskie collection, with original plates, sold for $2750.
- Lot 64, a post-sale plated Stickney catalogue (Henry Chapman, 1907), sold for $2500.
- Lot 83, an attractively bound original copy of Crosby’s Early Coins of America, sold for $2500.
Highlights from the second sale included:
- Lot 1060, a set of the Numismatische Zeitschrift complete up through the 1970s, sold for $6000.
- Lot 1180, a set of both Hess sales of the Dubletten Russischer Museen, sold for $1900.
- Lot 1122, a lovely set of a rare two-volume 1760 work on coining, sold for $1700.
The two-day sale marked Kolbe & Fanning’s introduction of live online bidding through icollector.com as an additional bidding method. The new bidding option brought in a number of new bidders and made the event more exciting for all concerned. The auction house will continue to improve their online capabilities as well as accept bids the old fashioned way.
For more information, please see Kolbe & Fanning’s website.