27-02-2015 – 01-01-1970
February 28 Online Sale
Kolbe & Fanning: Online Sale of North American Numismatic Literature
The February 28 online sale of Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers has been posted. The first in what is expected to be a series of smaller online numismatic book auctions, the sale focuses on North American numismatic literature, and features 380 lots ranging in estimated value from $20 to $2000. All lots are illustrated.
Some sale highlights include:
- Thirty-one lots of pre-WWII volumes of The Numismatist, including 1896 and 1897 (lots 3 through 33).
- Early ANA sales, including rare catalogues for 1908, 1910, 1922 and 1933 (lots 34, 35, 37 and 39).
- A hand-priced and plated copy of Lyman Low’s catalogue of the Benjamin Betts collection (lot 228).
- A number of early Edward Cogan catalogues, a plated copy of the Mackenzie Sale (lot 121) and a lovely 1859 Cogan storecard designed by Robert Lovett, Jr. (lot 116).
- A copy of the 1893 Frossard & Hays volume with a rare authorial inscription by Frossard (lot 167).
- A 1914 handwritten letter, signed, from Hillyer Ryder on the subject of Massachusetts coppers (lot 278).
A PDF of the catalogue can be downloaded here.
The online sale is available now for browsing and absentee bidding.
While bidders are encouraged to bid through the online platform, bids may be submitted through the traditional methods as long as any such absentee bids are received by Kolbe & Fanning by the day before the sale. Absentee bids may be placed directly online at any time prior to the lot being sold. On Saturday, Feb. 28, beginning at noon eastern time, the sale will be conducted as a live internet auction.
Any questions may be directed to David Fanning via email or by phone at (614) 414-0855.